Expert competition economist
Member of Branch Leadership team
The Commerce Commission is New Zealand’s competition authority and economic regulator. The Competition Branch is responsible for enforcing laws relating to competition and consumer protection.
In the competition area, this includes merger control and trade practices (dominance, cartel and other anti-competitive conduct) regulation. The Branch also plays an educational role with businesses and consumers to enhance compliance with these laws.
Reporting to the General Manager, Competition and Consumer, this is an exciting opportunity for a talented Chief Economist to lead the Economics team, and be part of the broader Competition and Consumer Branch Leadership team.
You will contribute significantly to our organisational reputation, being visible and trusted in all relevant situations. Your ability to form and maintain strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders will be vital to your success in this role.
You will have expert knowledge and experience with all aspects of antitrust/competition economics, including managing expert testimony for cases and supervising more junior economists. You may also have experience with other aspects of micro-economics and industrial organisation, as well as, econometrics or behavioural economics.
Your core strengths will include the following:
- Expert experience in the application of competition/antitrust economics to merger control
- Being a sophisticated economic adviser and thought leader – with an ability to provide strategic steers and to manage a team working across the full range of antitrust issues affecting markets
- Leading and developing a team of expert competition economists
- Having excellent judgement in handling complex competition and consumer issues
- Providing strategic leadership across a multi-disciplinary group with diverse functions
- Having highly effective relationship management ability at the most senior levels in the private or public sector
To find out more about this opportunity and to view a copy of the position description, click on the link below or visit: http://www.comcom.govt.nz/the-commission/careers/vacancies/
For further information you can also contact Janet Rees on 04 924 3719.
To apply for this position please send a copy of your CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close 5pm Thursday, 5 July 2018.